Merz Aesthetics, the world’s largest dedicated medical aesthetics business, announced today a partnership with Oscar and Emmy-award-winning actor, author and entrepreneur, Gwyneth Paltrow, for the launch of the company’s first global campaign for Xeomin® (incobotulinumtoxinA). Xeomin (pronounced phonetically: Zeo-min) is a FDA-approved anti-wrinkle injection for frown lines uniquely purified to remove unnecessary proteins. Women have been using Xeomin for nearly 10 years to give those wrinkles between the eyebrows a smoother appearance. As the global face of the brand, Paltrow joins Xeomin in standing with women who choose beauty on their own terms and do so with proven products.
“For me, beauty is about deepening happiness versus trying to chase youth,” said 47-year old Paltrow who is widely considered an authority on beauty and wellness. “And it’s no secret that I’m an open book when it comes to trying new beauty regimens, but I want to know what’s in a product before putting anything into my body. Finding highly purified and proven products is so important. That’s one of the many reasons I started using Xeomin a few years ago.”
Xeomin is a botulinum toxin type A that was approved by the United States (U.S.) Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to temporarily improve the look of moderate to severe frown lines between the eyebrows in adults. Xeomin resonates with people who are seeking natural-looking results.
“Gwyneth and I have been friends born out of mutual respect, which began with a shared desire to be true to yourself and to embrace ones’ desire to look and feel your best – the definition of graceful aging,” said Julius Few, MD, Founder of The Few Institute for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery. “Like Gwyneth, more and more of my patients tell me they don’t want to look different – they just want the outside to reflect how they feel on the inside. Xeomin, which is backed by science, helps give their frown lines a smoother appearance.”
The heart of the campaign ties back to Paltrow’s philosophy on beauty, which is that women should give themselves the permission to do whatever they want to do in order to feel good. Paltrow and influencers will be encouraging women to take time for themselves and prioritize self-care, especially now. Paltrow will be sharing details about what she does to look and feel her best, and will ask women to do the same on social media using #DareToSelfCare.
“It’s such an exciting time for Merz Aesthetics and for our flagship brand, Xeomin,” said Bob Rhatigan, Global Chief Executive Officer of Merz Aesthetics. “Gwyneth’s passion for knowledge and learning, and her deeply personal perspective on beauty and aging, are all qualities we at Merz Aesthetics admire in her, and the values we share as a company. We could not be more thrilled to be partnering with her to educate women around the world about a frown line treatment that is uniquely purified without unnecessary proteins.”
To learn more about Xeominand locate a physician near you, visit XeominAesthetic.com where you can access the Find a Provider tool. Follow @XeominAesthetic to stay up to speed on the latest news from Gwyneth.
This will be the first global integrated marketing campaign for Merz Aesthetics since the Company announced in November 2019 it would be operating independently as the largest dedicated medical aesthetics business globally.
Xeomin is marketed globally for medical aesthetics indications in select markets, and is referred to as Bocouture in European markets.
About Merz Aesthetics
At Merz Aesthetics, we are a medical aesthetics business with a long history of empowering health care professionals, patients and employees to live every day with confidence. We aim to help people around the world look, feel and live like the best versions of themselves — however they define it. Clinically proven, our product portfolio includes injectables, devices and skin care treatments designed to meet each patient’s needs with the highest standards of safety and efficacy. We are known for building unique connections with customers who feel like family. Our global headquarters is in Raleigh, N.C., USA, with locations in 32 countries worldwide. Merz Aesthetics is part of Merz Group, a family owned company founded in 1908 and based in Frankfurt, Germany. Learn more at merzaesthetics.com.
About Gwyneth Paltrow
Oscar®-winning actress Gwyneth Paltrow is also a best-selling cookbook author, singer and entrepreneur. In 2008, Paltrow founded goop from her kitchen table. goop has grown into a lifestyle brand devoted to helping women make their own choices count in the various facets of their lives—from style, travel, work, food, and beauty to physical, mental, and spiritual wellness. goop now has a tightly edited digital shop, a book imprint, permanent and pop-up retail experiences, a live event series, a television show on Netflix and its own product lines, including skincare, fragrances, apparel, body, bath soaks and supplements.
About XEOMIN® (incobotulinumtoxinA)
XEOMIN® (incobotulinumtoxinA) is a botulinum toxin type A approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to temporarily improve the look of moderate to severe frown lines between the eyebrows (glabellar lines) in adults. For more information, including Full Prescribing Information and Medication Guide, please visit www.xeominaesthetic.com. See below for Important Consumer Safety Information.
XEOMIN® (incobotulinumtoxinA) IMPORTANT CONSUMER SAFETY INFORMATION
Read the Medication Guide before you start receiving XEOMIN (Zeo-min) and each time XEOMIN is given to you as there may be new information. The risk information provided here is not comprehensive. To learn more:
- Talk to your health care provider or pharmacist
- Visit www.xeominaesthetic.com to obtain the FDA-approved product labeling
- Call 1-866-862-1211
XEOMIN is a prescription medicine that is injected into muscles and used to improve the look of moderate to severe frown lines between the eyebrows (glabellar lines) in adults for a short period of time (temporary).
It is not known if XEOMIN is safe and effective in children under 18 years of age.
XEOMIN may cause serious side effects that can be life threatening. Call your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of these problems anytime (hours to weeks) after treatment with XEOMIN:
- Problems with swallowing, speaking, or breathing can happen within hours to weeks after an injection of XEOMIN if the muscles that you use to breathe and swallow become weak. Death can happen as a complication if you have severe problems with swallowing or breathing after treatment with XEOMIN.
- People with certain breathing problems may need to use muscles in their neck to help them breathe and may be at greater risk for serious breathing problems with XEOMIN.
- Swallowing problems may last for several months, and during that time you may need a feeding tube to receive food and water. If swallowing problems are severe, food or liquids may go into your lungs. People who already have swallowing or breathing problems before receiving XEOMIN have the highest risk of getting these problems.
- Spread of toxin effects. In some cases, the effect of botulinum toxin may affect areas of the body away from the injection site and cause symptoms of a serious condition called botulism. The symptoms of botulism include: loss of strength and muscle weakness all over the body, double vision, blurred vision and drooping eyelids, hoarseness or change or loss of voice, trouble saying words clearly, loss of bladder control, trouble breathing, trouble swallowing.
These symptoms can happen hours to weeks after you receive an injection of XEOMIN. These problems could make it unsafe for you to drive a car or do other dangerous activities.
Do not use XEOMIN if you are allergic to XEOMIN or any of the ingredients in XEOMIN (see the end of this Guide for a list of ingredients in XEOMIN), had an allergic reaction to any other botulinum toxin products such as rimabotulinumtoxinB (MYOBLOC®), onabotulinumtoxinA (BOTOX®, BOTOX® COSMETIC), or abobotulinumtoxinA (DYSPORT®) or have a skin infection at the planned injection site.
Before receiving XEOMIN, tell your doctor about all of your medical conditions, including if you:
- have a disease that affects your muscles and nerves (such as amyotrophic lateral sclerosis [ALS or Lou Gehrig’s disease], myasthenia gravis or Lambert-Eaton syndrome)
- have had any side effect from any other botulinum toxin in the past
- have a breathing problem such as asthma or emphysema
- have a history of swallowing problems or inhaling food or fluid into your lungs (aspiration)
- have bleeding problems
- have drooping eyelids
- have plans to have surgery
- have had surgery on your face
- are pregnant or plan to become pregnant. It is not known if XEOMIN can harm your unborn baby.
- are breastfeeding or plan to breastfeed. It is not known if XEOMIN passes into breast milk.
Tell your doctor about all of the medicines you take, including prescription and over-the-counter medicines, vitamins and herbal supplements. Talk to your doctor before you take any new medicines after you receive XEOMIN.
Using XEOMIN with certain other medicines may cause serious side effects Do not start any new medicines until you have told your doctor that you have received XEOMIN in the past. Especially tell your doctor if you
- have received any other botulinum toxin product in the last four months
- have received injections of botulinum toxin such as rimabotulinumtoxinB (MYOBLOC®), onabotulinumtoxinA (BOTOX®, BOTOX® COSMETIC) and abobotulinumtoxinA (DYSPORT®) in the past. Be sure your doctor knows exactly which product you received. The dose of XEOMIN may be different from other botulinum toxin products that you have received.
- have recently received an antibiotic by injection
- take muscle relaxants
- take an allergy or cold medicine
- take a sleep medicine
Ask your doctor if you are not sure if your medicine is one that is listed above.
Know the medicines you take. Keep a list of your medicines with you to show your doctor and pharmacist each time you get a new medicine.
Possible Side Effects
XEOMIN can cause serious side effects that can be life threatening including allergic reactions. Symptoms of an allergic reaction to XEOMIN may include: itching, rash, redness, swelling, wheezing, asthma symptoms, or dizziness or feeling faint. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you get wheezing or asthma symptoms, or if you get dizzy or faint. See “Warnings.”
The most common side effect of XEOMIN in people with glabellar lines include:
These are not all the possible side effects of XEOMIN. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
General information about the safe and effective use of XEOMIN
Medicines are sometimes prescribed for purposes other than those listed in a Medication Guide. You can ask your pharmacist or doctor for information about XEOMIN that is written for health professionals.
Active Ingredient: botulinum toxin type A
Inactive Ingredients: human albumin and sucrose
Copyright © 2020 Merz Pharmaceuticals, LLC. All rights reserved.
MERZ AESTHETICS and XEOMIN are registered trademarks of Merz Pharma GmbH & Co. KGaA.
Botox, Dysport and Myobloc are registered trademarks of their respective owners.
goop® is a registered trademark of goop, Inc.
(Photo: Merz Aesthetics)